Chick-fil-A gets lunch crowd support

David Albers/Staff
-  Guest relations hostess Belinda Rehm helps customers to pack into ordering lines at the Chick-fil-A at 5825 Airport Pulling Road North on Wednesday, Aug. 1, 2012, in Naples. Chick-fil-A supporters around the U.S. packed the fast food restaurants at lunchtime Wednesday in support of the company and its president's opposition to gay marriage.

Photo by DAVID ALBERS // Buy this photo

David Albers/Staff - Guest relations hostess Belinda Rehm helps customers to pack into ordering lines at the Chick-fil-A at 5825 Airport Pulling Road North on Wednesday, Aug. 1, 2012, in Naples. Chick-fil-A supporters around the U.S. packed the fast food restaurants at lunchtime Wednesday in support of the company and its president's opposition to gay marriage.

Will Chick-fil-A's stance on gay marriage affect your decision to dine there?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Video from NBC-2

Area Chick-fil-A locations were busy at lunch time as customers showed up en masse to show support for the Christian-led company's stance on gay marriage.

People voted with their wallets Wednesday at Chick-fil-A locations across the country, coming out to express support for the fast-food chain after CEO Dan Cathy recently said in an interview that he is a firm backer of “traditional marriage.” Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee organized the Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day to show support for the company.

Wait time was about 40 minutes about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at Chick-fil-A off Airport-Pulling Road in North Naples. The other Naples location at Coastland Center also was busier than normal. The Estero location of Chick-fil-A reports that Wednesday was the busiest day for the local restaurant since opening three years ago.

KennyR (Inactive) writes:

Chicagoans may have a much higher than average chance of being gun downed & murdered, but at least their politicians are protecting them from chicken sandwiches sold by someone exercising their 1st Amendment right.

chokoluskee writes:

A large kool-aid is being served with each lunch.

straighttalkinnaples writes:

Just finished eating a great Chick-fil-A sandwich at one of their local restaurants, discovered they provided an internet hotspot, so I went online and contributed to Gov. Romney’s campaign.

And, I didn’t even require step-by-step instructions on how to contribute, unlike democrats and liberals requiring President Obama’s just released tutorial on how he contributed to his campaign.

Frankly, Obama's typical democratic act of desperation clearly defines America's problem with his administration…over-spend, over-promise, over-budget, all while publicly whining about the need for more revenue.

Go figure.

WadeGarrett (Inactive) writes:

in response to straighttalkinnaples:

Go figure.

Don't forget about Obama's campaign promise to cut the deficit in half by the end of his 2nd year in office if elected.

KennyR (Inactive) writes:

"support of non-gay marriage" isn't entirely accurate, but I wouldn't expect NDN to do any actual journalism. This is a clear 1st Amendment issue. People have a right to their opinion without the fear of Government shutting them down. I'm for Gay Marriage and had no issues with the boycott until Joe Moreno vowed to block CFA from expanding in Chicago.

BobinNaples writes:

Kinda looks like the same toothless fatties and Amurican trash crowd that stands on the corner of US 41 anf Pine Ridge on weekends.

Panther309 writes:

Wow. Can the NDN's coverage be any lamer? All the other coverage of this "Appreciation Day" that I've been seeing has merited at least several good-size paragraphs. Anyway, my entire family is set to leave soon for an early dinner, in hopes of not fighting the crowd TOO much, since the word is being emailed to us that the Naples Chick-fil-A is inundated with people.

I think those lefties of the repressive stripe will think twice before trying to shut down a business any more because its views aren't p.c.

Becksperado writes:

Gifted1 writes:

Each person supporting this chain chicken store today is slapping a gay member of their family. Every family has a gay member. Thanks for stabbing them in the back.

cozyboy writes:

So tired of the looney left...,you go Chick-Fill-A ,Couldn't care less about the Christian Value stuff but I support the first ammendment and thats all this is. If the corporate owner closes on Sunday because of religious beliefs THAT HIS BUSINESS too.First Ammendment Baby! Screw Rahm and the rest of his bunch Just worry about the murder rate in Chicago and try to fix that.

BobinNaples writes:

Chick-Fil-A's corporate profits fund hate groups that support the Ugandan "Kill The Gays" bill.

Christian values?

straighttalkinnaples writes:

in response to Gifted1:

Sorry, not buying your ridiculously inflated estimate that every family has a gay member.

And as another poster mentioned, this is as much about supporting first amendment rights of free speech and religion, as it is about others supporting traditional marriage.

Wonder how Mayor Rahm Emanuel feels about those Chicago values now?

Corporate writes:

The gays are at it again. It's okay to Christian bash or Catholic bash but use your pulpit for free speech [something liberals loath if they disagree] and your branded as a racist and a hater. I will give the gays and the lib's credit for one thing they are unbeatable when it comes to playing the race card and using the ol' double standard tactic. BRAVO!!!

Company144 writes:

in response to BobinNaples:

wow, are you hostile! just because this jesus freak believes in marriage between opposite sexes and closing his restaurants on Sundays and piping in jesus music for all to hear doesn't make him a bad person. let's all buy his food, and take some out to the crowd on pine ridge and feed the whole lot of em.

Jetaime writes:

I had lunch there as well..tasty. I may just go again on Friday!

Coastal writes:

in response to Gifted1:

That’s funny. A gay friend of mine went to a Chic-fil-A with his partner today. They believe in the 1A and went there because of the hateful intolerant left.

It’s just the fringe radicals and the MSM that tried to make more of this than there was.

brown writes:

Actor Tom Selleck will not go to Chic-a-fil (ps if you know what I mean)..

lb5361 writes:

in response to BobinNaples:

Were they wearing their straw hats with the teabags hanging off the brim? You betcha!

Gifted1 writes:

in response to straighttalkinnaples:

Wonder how Mayor Rahm Emanuel feels about those Chicago values now?

It is not a bad thing if there is a gay member in your extended family. Don't worry, their sexuality shouldn't rub off. Obviously the Cathy family has a right to any position they choose. I would be embarrassed to go out of my way to support this establishment today, because I support any healthy relationships between consenting adults.

silverback writes:

Wow, lunch was great today. We got there early (Naples Blvd & Airport) cuz we thought it would get busy. It was busy at 11:00 A.M. By the time we left, 12:30, the lines wound out the doors and down the sidewalk. People were parking in the adjacent parking lots and walking to the restaurant. The drive through was relentless. We were going to have a chocolate shake but the line was just too long. We'll go back tomorrow.

Klaatu writes:

I think I saw Larry Craig & Mark Foley having lunch together! They were later joined by David Vitter !
Foley and Vitter had to sit together as you know Larry has a wide stance when he sits !

Pacia writes:

I still don’t understand why it’s fine for leftists to spew venom and hate and then yell at people across the fence for being bigots. I'm tired of tolerating their hate. I was at Chick-Fil-A today, not only to show my support for traditional marriage but also for the First Amendment. There are some things that are still worth fighting for, no matter how hard the other side tries to bring you down.

NDNisLame writes:

in response to weather_radar_25:

bingo!

naples759 writes:

in response to Coastal:

what's even funnier, i've heard that gay people are planning to go in there holding hands and showing public displays of affection to each other (tastefully of course) in plain view of other customers. they too will be exercising their constitutional rights.

ericTHEmidget writes:

can I take your order?? BAAA BAAA says the sheeple...would you like an order of waffle fries with that???
CHA CHING CHA CHING

cgbexec writes:

This is ridiculous! The owners of Chick Filet have every right to their religious views, Period! If you believe in Gay Marriage, then you too are entitled to your opinion! There is no controversy here. The only controversy is any governmental agency trying to interfere with Chick Filet’s business. That is illegal the last time I checked, but then laws I suppose are for the governed, not the governing.

Personally, why anyone would want to be married other than for religious purposes or to raise a family is beyond me. If it is to show how you are committed to someone, how about just telling them you love them. Marriage is nothing more than a legal binding agreement that once entered into creates a mess when a split happens. Since more than 50% of marriages end in divorce, there is a very good chance it will end. How about just enjoying your life and living it to the fullest. Great memories with family and loved ones makes a life, the pieces of paper, not so much. We are on this planet for a very short time. Why would anyone spend more than a few seconds thinking about something as meaningless as a marriage certificate is simply crazy!

cozyboy writes:

in response to godsize71:

I use to think that but the Obama crowd has changed my mind even though both parties have equal amount of wing nuts.

cgbexec writes:

in response to weather_radar_25:

Feel free to create your own religion and you can be as benevolent and tolerant as you wish. The only issue is that your comments do not seem to be benevolent or tolerant (accepting) of others beliefs. Apparently, you are only tolerant when someone else believes as you do. These people are not attacking anyone; they are merely expressing their religious beliefs. The Christian faith says that homo-sexuality is a sin and in Christianity, sins may be forgiven. Other religions call for the death of homo-sexuals and in some Countries you can be executed for being openly gay. That is something that is an atrocity and is something that is worthy of public outcry and attention by the media! The Chick Filet issue is merely drivel.

grouper25 writes:

in response to BobinNaples:

KennyR (Inactive) writes:

Liberal posters seem to be OK with government censoring what a private citizen can say by way of withholding permits and licenses? I always thought freedom of speech was important to them, well I guess it is JUST LIBERAL speech that's important. Opposing viewpoints should be oppressed and its OK for the Government to abuse their power and punish those who believe them.....

Klaatu writes:

I understand that it's Chic-fil-A's corporate policy to hire as many Former Catholic Priests as the can find !

lb5361 writes:

in response to Klaatu:

BobinNaples writes:

in response to grouper25:

ericTHEmidget writes:

"I also heard that Jerry Sandusky has applied for a position (no pun intended) at the Chik to pluck their young chickens!"

The adults are commenting on gays...Save this type of comment for a Catholic story!

eagall writes:

I'll make a deal. If gays (and their supporters) will stop telling me what I can and can't believe, I won't start telling them what they can and can't believe.

I ate at Chick-fil-a today just on that principle alone. I'm tired of people impressing their individual values on me. These mayors speaking out against Chick-fil-a are Statists -- the worst political ilk there is. They are an imminent threat to individual freedom whether you are straight or gay. What a bunch of hypocrites.

ericTHEmidget writes:

in response to eagall:

I agree... who gives a rip what this right wing, bible thumping, chicken murderer thinks about the horrible institution called marriage. The real issue is that cant Palin(notice an A and not an U)makes me sick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

straighttalkinnaples writes:

in response to Gifted1:

So now your claim is that a gay member is present in an "extended family", vice "every family", and anyone visiting Chick-fil-A is stabbing them in the back.

Gifted1, you really need to pick a story and stick to it. Once you begin waffling and modifying your claim...you've lost.

Not that I really care, but even the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force estimates 3 to 8 percent of both sexes are gay, and their estimates are higher than those found by the U.S. Census Bureau or Gallup polls.

But hey, today's support for Chick-fil-A was about reinforcing the importance of first amendment rights for freedom of expression and religion.

For others it was about supporting the institution of traditional marriage.

That's it...perhaps you noticed, I stuck to my story.

naplesnative73 writes:

Look like "oBowma" right again.
The gorvenment build your business. How could Chik-Fill-A draw that kind of business if it wasn't because oBowma and his loony leftist open their s----- and ignorant mouth.

HomeAgain writes:

Ok, whatever, BUT what a dumb business decision for Chick fil a! Hello? No good business wants to turn away business from any group. Just plain s-----.

Coastal writes:

in response to naples759:

I wish them well, as long as they don’t infringe on my rights it matters not to me, unlike the hateful intolerant left.

All people should be against gubmint officials discriminating against Americans based on their religious beliefs. But the left only thinks it’s a problem if you disagree with them. They expose themselves by their hypocritical actions each and every day. It seems the only thing they do believe in is transforming this country into a Marxist society where freedom and religion doesn’t exist.

snarky61 writes:

How does gay marriage affect me, again? Oh, that's right, it doesn't. Not in the least.

Why would I want to deny a loving couple the same happiness that I enjoy in my marriage? I wouldn't.

Why would I support a company that actively seeks to deny gay Americans the same rights that you and I enjoy? I won't.

kevinod77 writes:

I too am a staunch supporter of biblical values - I especially like the part that tell me that I can sell my daughter into slavery. Or, that if I beat my slave and he does not die within two day, I have done so properly because he is my property. I don't understand why it says I can't enslave a fellow Jew? Never understood that part??? God does work in mysterious ways. Another real good part was the flood of Noah that killed untold innocent children and babies. Same with Sodom and Gomorrah, those innocent babies just had to die! Like so many professed Christians, most have NEVER read the bible! They just follow blindly with whoever shouts the loudest from the bully pulpit!

KennyR (Inactive) writes:

in response to snarky61:

Do you really think this many people would turn out if the subject was solely gay marriage? No, the big deal and what has people riled up is government abusing their power and censoring what a private citizen can say by way of withholding permits and licenses.

naples759 writes:

in response to ericTHEmidget:

catholic, christian.......

same thing...

BlueManMao writes:

Eeny meeny. Chick-a-fil or Butt-a-fil? I'll side with Mr. Chick-a-fil on this one. The last time I checked he still had a right to his personal opinion in this declining yet still great nation.

And boycots often work both ways. Picture 80 or so percent of the heterosexual population in America boycotting gay businesses ? Not a good precedent to set. No good for anyone.

starvingartist writes:

This is really a referendum on free speech and the Constitution. On Wednesday, the Chick- Fil- A near me in Louisville, KY was packed and ran out of Breakfast food by 9:00AM. What a blessing to see all of these bigoted Democrats show their true colors.

ericTHEmidget writes:

in response to BlueManMao:

Women wouldn't get their hair did, or their house decorated. 80 % in-fkingpossible!!!

WadeGarrett (Inactive) writes:

So which one of you liberals all up in arms about 1st Amendment rights was hatched from a gluteus maximus?

I think I know the answer.

urdaddy writes:

The majority speaks by action, unlike the shrill minority that needs to have their diaper changed, waaaaaa waaaa !

NaplesforHim writes:

Brought my six kids to the Chick Fil A on Airport Pulling today. And, I even let them get dessert! We never felt so good eating out -- to support the noble causes of free speech and traditional marriage. The homosexuals really overplayed their hand on this one. Obama's coming out on same sex marriage has only accomplished what Romney was having trouble doing -- firing up the evangelical vote! Thanks, Obama!