Two meetings to explore Collier fire district consolidation, ambulance transport

Who: Collier County Commission, Collier Emergency Medical Services, officials with Collier’s independent and municipal fire departments

What: Emergency Medical Services and fire services workshop

When: 9 a.m. Thursday, April 26

Where: North Collier Regional Park Exhibit Hall, 1500 Livingston Road

Who do you think should run Collier's ambulance service?

See the results »

View previous polls »

— A pair of meetings this week could change the way Collier County's independent and municipal fire districts operate.

Or it could be déjà vu all over again.

Collier County commissioners are set to meet Thursday to discuss emergency medical and fire services, and hot button issues like consolidation and ambulance transport will be on the agenda. The meeting is scheduled for the day after a joint meeting of East Naples, North Naples and Golden Gate fire commissions, where the consolidation of functions through local agreements is expected to be discussed.

But while the meetings appear to be covering similar ground, many of the stakeholders seem to have different hopes for what the result will be.

Some Collier commissioners want a fire district consolidation plan. Coastal fire chiefs want the go-ahead to transport patients within their jurisdictional boundaries. And everyone involved wants what is best for Collier County residents.

"I'm willing to listen to anything," Collier Commissioner Jim Coletta said. "But the truth of the matter is, my concern is countywide. We don't talk about fragmenting the county (Emergency Medical Services) or the Sheriff's Office because it works on a county level."

Commissioners in December agreed to hold a workshop between themselves, EMS officials and Naples, Marco Island and North Naples fire chiefs. While the workshop originally was meant to look at potentially issuing a certificate of public convenience and necessity to the three fire departments for pre-hospital emergency medical transport, it has since morphed into a meeting that looks at consolidation, fire plan review and field inspections.

Still, coastal chiefs are holding out hope that their concept for pre-hospital emergency medical transport will be welcomed with open arms.

That concept has the three departments merging with ambulance services already operating in their boundaries. The concept keeps the same number of ambulances in Naples and North Naples, but adds one to Marco Island. While ambulances and crews now work for the county's EMS system, the proposal would have them working for the fire departments instead. Supporters say the concept wouldn't only be more efficient but would also save money in the long run.

"It's an idea of being able to see improvements and expansion of EMS to use existing resources and funding," said Jorge Aguilera, deputy chief of medical services and community relations for the North Naples Fire Control and Rescue District.

"It's a different way to provide emergency medical services, and it goes on the footprint of the blue ribbon committee recommendations," he said, referring to a task force that gave a report on emergency services to commissioners more than a year ago.

Under the coastal chiefs' proposal, Collier County EMS would continue to provide service for the rest of unincorporated Collier as it does now.

It may be a different way to provide services, but it's one that likely will be met with opposition. Commission Chairman Fred Coyle said the proposal achieves the goals of Naples, Marco Island and North Naples "without regard for the overall interests of Collier County."

"It still leaves the system fragmented," he said. "The emergency medical service should not be fragmented. End of story."

Coastal chiefs may be looking to leave Thursday's meeting with support for their concept, but Coyle has a different goal. He wants fire districts to leave the meeting with a commitment to consolidate.

"It is essential we have a consolidation of fire districts ... in Collier County," he said.

This isn't the first time consolidation has come up, said Burt Saunders, a former Collier County commissioner and a local attorney who represents North Naples and Marco Island in their bid for pre-hospital emergency transports.

"It's been debated for 20 years. When I was on commission it was being debated," he said. "It may happen. It may not happen. But the division of EMS and transport, that does not slow down or stop consolidation efforts."

Coyle's hopes of a consolidation commitment may be closer to reality than ever before. One day before commissioners are slated to discuss consolidation, commissioners with three of Collier County's largest independent fire districts are expected to discuss whether there are any merits to a consolidation of functions.

A functional consolidation means each fire department would act as its own district, but functions like administration or fire prevention would be handled by one fire district through an agreement. Golden Gate fire Commissioner Kevin Gerrity said he plans to propose that North Naples handles administrative services, East Naples handles facility and equipment maintenance and Golden Gate handles fire prevention responsibilities.

While it's just a coincidence the joint fire commission meeting is scheduled just one day before the Collier County Commission workshop, North Naples fire Commissioner Jim Burke said he's hopeful the three independent fire districts will be able to hammer out a proposal and show county commissioners they're already looking into some type of consolidation. Still, Burke said, he's doubtful Thursday's meeting will lead to any grand revelations.

"I don't have a lot of hope for it," he said. "I don't know why consolidation was thrown in ... until someone from the state steps in and tells (us) something differently, all of it is in the hands of the fire commissioners."

Related Topics

Related Links

TheyPavedParadise2 writes:

Coletta shouldn't be involved in any major decisions. It's going to take years to undo the damage that's been done already.

ambulancia writes:

The Blue Ribbon Committee wanted equal services available to all areas of the county. Straw poll said to Consolidate. Bottom line, Consolidate the Fire Districts, and EMS will be part of the County Fire Service. Fire Chiefs don't want consolidation, duplication of services keeps them employed

swfl_ff writes:

What will come from all these meetings? More than likely NOTHING. The consolidation issue has actually been around since the 1980's. If there was to ever to be total consolidation back then would have been the time to accomplish it before all the fire districts and EMS grew into the large operations that they are today.

While I agree there would be some efficiencies and savings by consolidating the fire and EMS operations it is not the easy proposition that many think it will be. First of all there will have to be a county wide millage rate established. What that will be is unknown. Right now the millage rates for fire protection vary greatly from one area to another. So if a county wide rate is established some would see savings while others would more than likely see a tax increase. Wonder how that would go over in those areas.

The two city fire departments have never been a part of the consolidation talks and more than likely the two cities will not want to give up control of their fire services and the county had NO power to force them. It would only happen with their city councils agreeing to the concept and the voters of the cities passing a referendum. Remember that the residents of the two cities pay about 1/2 mill give or take for their fire services. Will the county be able to provide fire services for that millage? Most likely not so it would be a very hard sell to the residents of the two cities.

In the case of North Naples Fire District you have a similar situation. The taxpayers in that district pay 1 mill for fire protection, the lowest of any of the independent districts. Will the county be able to provide the same level of service that the NNFD currently provides for the same tax rate? I know that many people who live in the NNFD jurisdiction including myself are skeptical of the idea of the county being able to provide what we already have for the same price. If and when it comes down to a formal vote it might be a hard sell in the NNFD area.

So will we ever see total consolidation in Collier County? My best guess in NO. I think that partial consolidation is a very real possibility with the rural districts, the county run districts (Capri & Ocopee)and possibly East Naples and Golden Gate joining together with EMS. It might be their best chance of survival in the long run.

I agree that on paper total consolidation does look inviting to most people. But there is much more behind this that people may not understand. And everyone must remember that despite popular belief the county commission does not have the authority to force this issue as they only control the two small county run districts. Also remember that each district will stand on it's own merit. So if the voters in a particular district vote against consolidating then that district would remain as is.

This may be a much longer and prolonged process than many expect.

Klaatu writes:

This is an issue for the Voters and Taxpayers to decide! It should be on the ballot plain and simple.

Dilbert writes:

in response to Klaatu:

Never happen...That makes sense!

Dilbert writes:

in response to TheyPavedParadise2:

Go vote for Georgia Nance.....

Ssp1 writes:

North Naples deserves to operate their own ambulance service. They have proven that they hold them selves to higher standards.

Vandelay writes:

This pretty much says it all. No one including Burt can consolidate the Fire Departments so the back up position is to split the EMS delivery???

Independent_Thinker writes:

As a North Naples taxpayer...I'm tired of being a donor to the rest of the County. Take your "consolidation" i.e. hand in my pocket...and put it in someone else's. The taxpayers are done supplementing your District Coletta.

lemonjello writes:

in response to TheyPavedParadise2:

Sure Tim...

in response to Naples_Daily_News:

You are right!!!! I'm paying one mill for a big department that "LENDS" resources for free all the time to the others...why would I want to dillute that and pay a higher MILL????

Hands out of my pocket Jim Colletta...I'm not paying for your version of welfare!

Independent_Thinker writes:

Does Coletta think he is Robin Hood?

TISHIMSELF writes:

Colleta is no robinhood????

He is more like Frior Tuck....
or is he just a s----- Tuck ????

ARG (Inactive) writes:

NNFD is almost in bankrupt.This is why they are seeking ambulance transport.

cobra writes:

Where is Eloy.Is he still in tallahasse wasting the NN tax payers money?

TheyPavedParadise2 writes:

in response to lemonjello:

Sure Tim...

Unlike all of the rest of us, Nance uses his own name in the blogs. I'm sure he doesn't like Coletta either. Coletta's speech talking down to someone who actually has a college degree will be legendary on youtube. After the election it will be part of a documentary.

angrytxpyr writes:

This is kinda funny how its getting all these panties bunched up when the reality is the two meetings will more that likely be a lot of hot air, pontification and accusations tossed about the room. "Ugh" should take a look at the balance sheet but also understand that even if operated in a tight fisted and efficient manner ALS transport is not the "cash cow" some think it is. You have additional liability, costs and employees who will be getting hooked up to the wage and benefit gravy train and we all have a pretty good idea what that will do to the bottom line. As far as the Union rep traveling to the Crapitol I'm pretty sure that comes out of the rather sizable Union budget and not the NNFD bank account. Its really funny how Ole Rip Van coyle just has to try to get his two and half cents in on this issue when the reality is he has no say in the consolidation issue whats-so-ever and from the way this are shapping up over at BES/EMS the organization is on the verge of implosion with out of control management, out of control shift supervisors/street medics and a budget that just seems to be like a out of control brush fire and the county is running out of ideas on how to hide how bad it really is over there. I would be surprised beyond belief if NNFD agreed to any type of consolidation or even continued to pursue ALS transport, there comes a point in time when you just close the door and cut your expenses. Consolidation may be a viable alternative but not with the current pool of elected officials, especially if its true that Not a Chief Paige has tossed his name into the ENFD commission race.

Raminar_Dixon writes:

in response to Independent_Thinker:

Does Coletta think he is Robin Hood?

Rob 'em Good

goodlander10 writes:

why do I see fire trucks and other fire dept. trucks at the publix and other stores, and the guys inside shopping , when I go I am not on the clock getting paid to do it , I also have to use my own fuel and wear and tear on my own car, I will have to speak to my boss to see if I can use my companys car to do my shopping and also stay on the clock as well, I'll bet that will go over well

stranger writes:

We need the governor to intervene and force all these Fire Depts to consolidate.

in response to goodlander10:

I bet you are in the lower end of the IQ pool. the fact isvthese guys are there for 24 hours at a time. They are subject to call for the entire 24. I've seen them running out of Publix and leaving the cart to go on a call. So unless you are bring some food by...you should probably shut your face. I donated food all the time.

pirates writes:

I will suggest to the governor to force them to become a volunteer Dept. They are only looking to serve one part of the County and not the rest. I’m sure it will be a lot of money saves.

cobra writes:

in response to Independent_Thinker:

Now they want the public to donate food,so Eloy can keep getting fat and going to tallahasse on tax payers money to lobby on behalf of their Union.

in response to cobra:

Who the heck is Elroy? Sounds like a Jetson.

angrytxpyr writes:

Hey just wondering if the Amy Saad that got popped for DUI would be the same Amy Saad that is married to Naples City Councilman Sam(speedy)Saad???

Ssp1 writes:

Eloy does more for ALL union brothers than anybody. He would be the first one you call when Summers or Bowman try to fire you.

(that's just an example Summers and Bowman are a &/-$ joke

Independent_Thinker writes:

Where is Cobra's bread buttered? I'm a North Naples taxpayer that wants to keep my Mill at 1.

angrytxpyr writes:

in response to Ssp1:

(that's just an example Summers and Bowman are a &/-$ joke

My understanding is his connection and endeavors in the Crapitol also provide a moderate to significant benefit to Residents, visitors, administration and TAXPAYERS in the NNFD. If he eats a lot and gets fat thats his own personal issue and really has nothing to do with consolidation or ALS transport. The same can be said about Amy Saad and her DUI, maybe Sam could hire Vinny to be their driver.

ZuneNaples writes:

Independent_Thinker writes:

If you were a decent human being you would be ashamed of your comment. Everyone should be entitled to the best care that is available regardless of how much money they have or were they live. Shame on you

cobra writes:

in response to Ssp1:

(that's just an example Summers and Bowman are a &/-$ joke

I don't work for either one of those idiots and I live in NN area. I’m tire of these entire BS with Unions living out of tax payer’s money.

reallifeswfla writes:

Consolidate now!
We have already voted on this issue Countywide and it won in a landslide.

Dilbert writes:

in response to Independent_Thinker:

Then How come it DOESN'T happen in MOST FD's...My Teamster brethren "up north", bring in all thier food before reporting for thier 24 hr shift..Have a great kitchen and some of the firefighters can out cook many resturants chefs ?

Sorta like so many county vehicles are "XLT' not "XL" or base models...
FISCAL RESPONSIBILTY ??? NOT IN COLLIER COUNTY.

in response to ZuneNaples:

TheyPavedParadise2 writes:

in response to Independent_Thinker:

No, 3 County Commissioners wanted you to pay for 200 jobs with money from YOUR electric bill.
Why is everything in District 5 Broken? The list is a long one, and 60 Million $ for a road to a failed town?

in response to TheyPavedParadise2:

touché

FLFF21 writes:

in response to Dilbert:

Sorta like so many county vehicles are "XLT' not "XL" or base models...
FISCAL RESPONSIBILTY ??? NOT IN COLLIER COUNTY.

yea all those men at FDNY should be ashamed of themselves for going to the grocery store on a daily basis. Especially since they're not working 24/48s. How dare they shop for food while on duty and how dare they attempt to enjoy a dinner together as a family in the station while on duty.
This publix crap has got to stop. It's reaching to the fullest. It's the smallest of an issue and you all are embarrassing yourself with minute things instead of focusing on the larger picture.

NoHurricanes writes:

Very funny- ok not really. Apparently Independent doesn't think- or maybe he never travels outside of the district boundary line. Apparently everyone spends an astronomical amount of time at publix to document the fire truck appearances. Dump at work- fine, wipe on your own time. Anyway - how about instead of bi.. moaning on here you do something to clear your (screen)name. After all these elected officials work for US. SO- instead of squabbling on here where it does no good- go to meetings and voice your displeasure with OUR EMPLOYEES. However we know most will do no such thing- human nature requires a need for dissatisfaction and a good old fashion whine session. Oh Dill... I agree with the Fiscal comment... Teamsters?? Not too sure Hoffa would be pleased with you bashing your "brethren"... But you probably aren't anyway. Stay tuned for the newest reason why consolidation won't work.

stranger writes:

Today is the day ,I won't worry about tomorrow,but all those 3 Chiefs going around trying to take jobs away and giving pay cuts to others.Let me tell you.

THE BIG BOSS IS WATCHING.

God bless you.

NoHurricanes writes:

Another post was right- WE voiced our decision to consolidate some time ago on a ballot. Why hasn't this happened? "Consolidation won't work because... no cost savings... or millage rates or .." excuse me, Mr elected official that might lose his job- I need another one quick...Why do we continue to let this happen. Let all go to these meetings and voice our opinion - AGAIN

swfl_ff writes:

in response to NoHurricanes:

That vote was what is called a "straw ballot" and has no legal standing. It was done to gauge the opinion of the public. Taking it from there will not be an easy task no matter what anyone thinks.

The county commissioners control only two small fire districts. The other seven agencies are made up of two municipal (city) departments which are controlled by their respective cities. The remaining five are independent districts which are their own units of government. They are not controlled by the county or any city.

Before any consolidation occurs a complete plan must be developed and agreeded upon by the various agencies, then a "formal or binding" referendum would be placed before the voters to decide.

Also each independent district will have to stand on it's own in the vote. If the voters of any particular district should happen to vote against consolidating their agency they it would remain independent. In the case of the two cities they have never been a part of the consolidation efforts and most likely never will be.

While I agree on paper consolidation may look like a good idea everyone must understand that it will not be a simple task to achieve and that the county commission does not have to power to "just make it happen" on their own. At the very least this idea will take time to come to fruition .

swfl_ff writes:

One more thing, I am neither for or against the consolidation issue at this time as no real or functional plan has ever been brought forth to this day. So far it has only been political jargon so it's hard to make a decision at this point.

My main idea here was to try to explain the legal process will have to take place for this concept to come to fruition. Unfortunately many think that the county commission can just wave their hands and make it happen. It's just not the simple.

Consolidation does have it's good points no doubt but it also has some drawbacks. As the saying goes "bigger is not always better".

Also just to make this clear I have no dog in this fight either way. I am long out of the business but as a very long time resident I am very concerned of the future of our emergency services here in Collier County.

ARG (Inactive) writes:

Thank you Chief Greenberg for taking a pay cut with your guys, for showing to your community that you are a real Chief that you can handle two Fire District without problems. I hope that if one day the County is consolidated you will be the Fire Chief of Collier County. Not one of these 3 stooges.

NoHurricanes writes:

Thank you SWFL- I understand the straw part of the ballot. I will however disagree with how easy it could be, your position sounds like the rhetoric we receive from the commissioners, chiefs - politicians. From the sounds of the article- it sounds as some of the independent fire depts are trying to consolidate to some degree. I am still looking for a downside. I was not suggesting the county commissioners could or should do anything. Actually the exact opposite. Consolidation is the answer- however not under the county - look at the political mess with EMS... it was not that long ago the county wanted the depts to consolidate so they could get rid of EMS all together. The county doesn't want it- wonder why there is such an issue? County ran fire dept- ran by politicians who want to drop their responsibility- bet that would be a great organization. Incidentally - SWFF- if you live and vote in collier - then you do have a dog in the fight, like it or not.

ZuneNaples writes:

INDEPENDENT THINKER You get what you pay for. I shouldn't have to supplement your household. Next you'll be asking me to kick in on your electric bill. Take care of your own service.

Your response only further shows your ingnorance. No one is asking you or anyone else to supplement their household expenses. Everyone is entitled to the best care that the county can provide which is paid by taxes. People like you only widen the divide between those who are struggling and those that think all others should step aside for them. P.S. I make enough to care for for my family and am willing to help others. Please feel free to take my post and respond with your ignorant, small minded dribble.

dwyerj1 writes:

It seems to me that the fire chiefs are making a very self-serving proposal. We must consolidate the seven fire districts into one and _eliminate_ the surplus of fire chiefs. Our area does not need or want and cannot afford 40 to 50 firechiefs for 350 firemen and 5 sets of fire commissioners.

THAT problem will not be solved by merging EMS with the fire departments. Don't let them stretch the definition of "consolidation" to mean merging the two services. Merge the seven districts and eliminate the salaries, benefits, and positions of the 50 fire chiefs! Each is very expensive and doesn't do much at the scene of an emergency.

Zune -

You must think you are BONO(U2) as proven in your statement: "I make enough money to care for for my family and am willing to help others."

Take this dribble: "If they pay a penie or two pence more for the reddinesse of them..let them looke to that, a foole and his money is soone parted."

I'll translate for you into simpleton terms or in your case Obama-nomics - "A fool and his money are soon parted." So go on and help the rest of the world and you can wear the crown of a populist.

What's next Big Shot? You going to take my dividend checks to end world hunger?

TheyPavedParadise2 writes:

in response to dwyerj1:

Great union self-serving position. Get rid of management and pay the workers more.

It's going to take a lot more thought than that.
Identify the budget that will support the program.
Look at other communities of the same size, population and geography and perform comparisons.
It would not be necessary to have fire commissioners.
It would not be necessary to have 50 Chiefs, but enough to have decision makers available at all times. Who do you think directs an emergency scene? A fire commissioner?
Time for reality to set in, volunteers will be necessary to supplement during busy cycles.

This has gone on long enough, it is obvious that the people involved now want to keep each individual kingdom, or take over others.

Now that is self-serving.

ZuneNaples writes:

Independent thinker

Your response again shows your ignorance. I am not trying to take anything from you. I am pointing out that we should always help others who not by their own design are not able to help themsleves. This will be my last post on this subject as it is evident you do not have the mental capacity to understand what I am saying and obviously the moral fiber that is needed to make you a a true human being. By the way I do not beleive in Obama-nomics and will vote against him this election just like I did in the last one. I willl also keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope that you one day will mature into a true humanitarian.

swfl_ff writes:

in response to NoHurricanes:

I appreciate your response. When I said I don't have a dog in this fight I was making clear that no matter what occurs with this issue it would not effect my employment situation one way or another.

I am truly open minded on this issue. There are good and bad things to say for both sides of the issue. What I really want to see is a comprehensive plan put forth spelling out just how a consolidated fire/EMS agency would run. So far there has been no real plan put forth just political banter back and forth.

I agree with you I am not interested in seeing the county run a consolidated agency no matter what. If that is the final plan put forth I will stand totally against any consolidation in that particular case. Anyone who fully understand just how poorly run the county's Bureau of Emergency Services is run will back me up on that. For this idea to have any merit it must be a separate independent agency free from county politics.

Again, my main purpose here is to help educate. No matter what anyone may think this process will take time to come together. I do agree there are some parties that are trying to drag the process down but even if there was total cooperation it would still take time to place a formal plan in front of the voters.

in response to ZuneNaples:

Independent thinker

I can't let you off without you knowing that YOU are the ignorant one. Do you think you can run a Countywide Fire/EMS Department with
1 Mill like North Naples?

You don't have the metal capacity to understand that the other places are anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 Mills in the rest of the County from what the NDN has been reporting.

If I were in Saturnia Lakes with a $700,000 house I would be begging to come into North Naples just for the tax savings.

How do you not understand that if the County get's it's hands on the 1 Mill, it will ratchet it up to 1.5 or 2 and it will be spent in the rural areas?

Oh that is right, you make alot of money and want to spread your wealth.