In the Know: Where can I get a photo I.D. if I don't have a passport or drive?

TIM ATEN
Photo with no caption

Q: Where can one get a legal photo I.D. if they don't have a driver's license or passport. Need to know in order to fly back home to New York.

— Julie Gilman, Naples

A: Florida identification cards can be obtained for $25 from the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles offices.

You must visit an office with the necessary documents if you are applying for your first identification card or driver's license. Renewing, replacing or changing an address on an I.D. card or driver's license can be accomplished online at GoRenew.com.

For office visits, you must bring original documents that prove your identity, Social Security number and residential address. Go to this link: www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/geninfo.html, and scroll down for information on I.D. card requirements.

Area offices providing driver's license services are in East Naples, North Naples, Golden Gate, Golden Gate Estates, Marco Island, Immokalee, Bonita Springs and South Fort Myers. For maps to locations in Collier County, go to www.flhsmv.gov/offices/collier.html; for Lee locations, go to www.flhsmv.gov/offices/lee.html.

Photo I.D. cards may become more popular nationwide as more teens postpone getting their driver's licenses. Because the Internet provides a way to socialize via virtual contact without being in the same physical place, the licensed rite of passage is being delayed, reports show.

Photo with no caption

Miami-Dade County

Q: Why does Dade County, Florida, use a hyphenated Miami-Dade in its name when no other county precedes its name with a city? We are not identified as Naples-Collier. I find it puzzling.

— Audrey Barbera, Naples

A: Dade County's name was officially changed to Miami-Dade County in 1997.

Florida's most-populous county has 35 cities, so it is not as if it's just Miami, but voters changed the name of the county nearly 15 years ago to acknowledge the international name recognition of Miami. Even so, most of its residents still call it Dade today.

The former Metro-Dade Police Department was renamed Miami-Dade Police Department in 1997, as well. You may remember the Metro-Dade name from the "Miami Vice" TV show in the mid-to-late 1980s.

Dade County, created in 1836, was named for Maj. Francis Langhorne Dade, who was massacred by American Indians the previous year in north central Florida at the beginning of the Second Seminole War.

The name Miami comes from the Miami River, which traces its name to Mayaimi, meaning "large lake" or "big water" in the language of the Mayaimi, Calusa, and Tequesta tribes. Mayaimi was the name for an American Indian tribe as well as the initial name for Lake Okeechobee, the state's largest freshwater lake.

At more than 2,000 square miles, Miami-Dade County is larger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware. One-third of the county is located in Everglades National Park, according to miamidade.gov.

The pin in the center of the map marks the Fortymile Bend on Tamiami Trail.

Mapquest

The pin in the center of the map marks the Fortymile Bend on Tamiami Trail.

Fortymile Bend

Dave Pfaff of Naples sent in a wonderful reply to last week's light-hearted challenge regarding the historic tale behind the naming of the Fortymile Bend on Tamiami Trail. Enjoy Pfaff's "pure conjecture based on a few facts" about the regional landmark:

"The Tamiami Trail was built from opposite ends toward the middle over a decade's time. The first work was begun by Dade County around 1915 and followed pretty much a due west route — maybe along township lines as did Alligator Alley later in Collier. In a couple of years, it had almost reached the Dade County line, which at that time abutted what was Lee County. Further work stopped to await what was to be built from the west. In 1923, the State Legislature carved Collier County from southern Lee County largely on the promise of Barron Collier that he would see that a road made it to Dade County.

"There had been efforts on the West Coast to build a road south from Fort Myers to Naples and then east. That work had reached nearly to Carnestown, the present intersection of U.S. 41 and Fla. 29, just north of Everglades City. Mr. Collier re-ignited the push to connect with the road Dade County had started and ended near the county line. However, Carnestown to Miami is not a direct east-west shot and so work had to angle some south of east. Plus, the engineering and construction problems crossing the Big Cypress Swamp in Collier were horrendous. (Read the account in Charlton Tebeau's history of Collier County, "Florida's Last Frontier.") Although there are 20-mile straight stretches of the Trail today in eastern Collier, they angle southeastward and needed to bend to link up with the Dade County work at the county line, a point 40-miles due west of Miami. Voila: "Forty Mile Bend"!

"An interesting note of similarity about the construction of U.S. 41 and Alligator Alley. Both were financed and built by the two counties involved, not by the state, although the state eventually took both over. This was not uncommon in early 20th century Florida. Local jurisdictions formed road districts and bonded themselves to build roads. And in the 1960s, when Collier and Broward (Fort Lauderdale) counties felt it was important there be a direct connection between them, they used a somewhat similar method. A toll road plan was devised with the two counties each pledging local funds to support the bonds in case the tolls did not. That was part of the reason Alligator Alley was built despite the vehement opposition of AAA — it was principally a local project, not a state one. By the way, the tolls paid off those bonds well in advance of their schedule and the two counties were refunded money they had advanced to get the work started."

___

Have a local question? Email it with your name and city of residence to intheknow@naplesnews.com.

"In the Know" is published Mondays and Wednesdays in the Naples Daily News. Find a complete archive of "In the Know" columns at naplesnews.com/intheknow.

mr_1_term_proposition writes:

I hear you can get pretty much any id you want in Miami. But your sex, name and age will probably change.

sunburnt writes:

Ask any illegal they'll get you an ID

Sick writes:

You can get one from the country you were born in.

I swear they allow this only to justify their positions of enforcement.

Ie: Job security.

joeybaccala writes:

If you lived in Los Angeles, you could get one in McArthur Park under the bridge. Mucho dinero!

Bigkondorsback (Inactive) writes:

I agree. When you arrive in New York, stay there.

manforpeace writes:

You don't need no ID to stand on the highway and stick your thumb out, try that, and take Tim Aten with you. Thank you.

imjustbeinghonest writes:

Greyhound!

volochine writes:

LOL! So if I read this right, I have to have a picture ID to vote this year, and if I want to vote, I have to pay $25? Unless I pay to have a drivers license or passport.

Last election, registered people voted legally in 2010. Now people have to be registered AND present a picture ID? Sounds like that 2010 election was fraudulent and corrupt.

Florida's NEW election laws are guarding against non-existent fraud. They have created the New Poll Tax. If you pay, you can vote.

The gerry-mandering of districts is acceptable, unlikable graft. The prevention of certain people voting is horrendous.

Enjoy the column, Tim....Sorry for the rant....Any word of Portillo's from Chicago opening a store near Coconut Point?

Colorado (Inactive) writes:

As evidensed from the posts before this one, red necks, bigots and racist make up about 85% of Naples population. I might also add high school or grade school dropouts to that list. What a place!!!

Kyser851 writes:

in response to joeybaccala:

Not true. I'm sure your experience with West Lake (look it up) doesn't go beyond reading about it.

As long as there is hatred in the World by people like you and your bff Captainjax, mis statements will continue to spew out of your butt hole like mud off a pig.

If you're ever in Los Angeles let's meet for lunch at West Lake and I'll educate you on what really goes on at the Park. A lot has changed here since you were a kid!

DonkeyWhispererakaDuh_novan writes:

what is wrong with showing ID to Vote? I don't get what the problem is?

Kyser851 writes:

in response to Nongeriatric_Redux:

Obsessed? No, more like sick!!

People like this live in fear of others everyday because they can't get beyond the fact that they have to blame others for their place in life instead of looking within and getting a better life for themselves and being happy. They would rather blame the minority at large. You should be used to it by now.

Notice how he feels so good about himself because he can address you by name, as if he uncovered the secret to ageing.

Thanks for sharing what we already knew about this moron living in a bubble.

jt1120 writes:

"manforpeace" would be better served by changing his handle to "man who needs better grammar." People might take your insults more seriously if you could actually speak and type the english language properly.

profiler writes:

Pedro down in immokalee has all the ID's you need....
choose your name
choose your date of birth

Here4Now writes:

in response to DonkeyWhispererakaDuh_novan:

what is wrong with showing ID to Vote? I don't get what the problem is?

The problem is that voting is supposed to be a right of every citizen, without hindrance. I.D. cards are not free, they cost $$ and may be a financial hindrance to some people, if they don't drive or have a passport. I would think that many older people, especially in big cities, would fall under this category. For some, it is now pay up for an id card, or no voting for you!

I agree with ID cards, BUT, they should be FREE if you don't drive or don't have a passport. Simple. It's the right thing to do.

Illusion writes:

in response to Here4Now:

Voting is not a right. You may be confused with the 15th Amendment. The Constitution explicitly prohibits discrimination in granting the franchise based on a person's race, sex, or (adult) age via the 15th, 19th, and 26th Amendments. The 24th Amendment also bars disenfranchisement via poll taxes. But those protections are like a house with no foundation. States and other governments can and do disenfranchise individuals and groups of citizens, and so long as they do it without provable bias, it's entirely legal.

DonkeyWhispererakaDuh_novan writes:

in response to Here4Now:

how do you go through life with out an id card? need one to cash a check- by booze- rent- work-?

joeybaccala writes:

in response to Kyser851:

I am glad you know me, Geyser, I lived in LA and worked in Koreatown for many years. I used to go by MacArthur Park almost every day during my lunch. Yes, it is very nice by day, but as soon as the sun goes down, all hell breaks loose. And, BTW I wasn't a kid when I lived & worked there, but thanks for the compliment and yes, call me, we'll meet for dinner under the overpass!

Kyser851 writes:

in response to joeybaccala:

I said lunch,..NOT DINNER,...don't push it old man!